Sunday, November 20, 2011

Smart Bro Power Plug-It. Hopefully no regrets!

The lengthy absence of any new posts on this blog equalled this:

I have finally come to a conclusion that I’ll be better off with prepaid internet than the unlimited, insanely fast and reliable connection available in my dorm. 
Smart Bro Power Plug-it! 

As much as possible, I have tried my best to stay away from these things because according to experience and a lot of other sources, they are usually unreliable and the promised speeds are almost never achieved. But with non-existent self-discipline when it comes to browsing the internet, prepaid internet emerged the better choice.

The device itself is straight-forward. It reminds me of those 512 megabyte USBs from five years ago. Bulky for its age with a nice LED thing that changes color. I’ve been looking for documentation but up to now, I still have no idea what red, yellow or orange lights signify.

It comes with 10 days of free browsing. (They market it as “Free 240 Hours” and note in finer print “valid for 10 days”. There is definitely something between math and appeal.)


The interface it has for Mac computers is just divine. Its beautiful and not as laggy as Globe Broadband’s version (which, unfortunately, I had to live with during the semestral break).
The internet is fine for me. I definitely notice some lag. I once used Speedtest.net for our dorm internet and it clocked an impossible 22 Mbps. Moving to Smart Bro, the difference is noticeable. I am in my first few hours of use and I am definitely not disappointed, but I’m not that happy either.
In fact, I’m a bit scared because I’m not sure if this was a good idea in the first place. 

(The kit sells for 1,245 pesos with 10 days free internet. Afterwards, rates are at 10 pesos per 30 minutes or 50 pesos for a whole day. Not bad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment