Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Paranormal Activity 3, yes it can make you scream


I was in Starbucks horrifyingly sitting by myself to pass time while my parents had a date with Praybeyt Benjamin (watched it already). It was definitely a horror because Starbucks was noisy with people who were with other people. Yes, there were a few of us loners unevenly distributed in the area primarily occupied by human herds. I wasn’t entirely alone in a sense.



I received an invitation via text from a friend to watch Paranormal Activity 3. Of course, in as fast as 5 minutes, I was already with them criticizing the trailers before the the movie started. There was this one called Dreamhouse which, as my friend agreed, reminded us of Shutter Island, an idea I immediately dismissed. Shutter Island was a good movie.

Anyways, the movie was fine. There weren’t hair-raising moments, only screamers. What I mean is unlike, for the sake of an example, the brilliant “The Blairwitch Project” where you don’t actually scream but definitely feel fear devouring your organs, Paranormal Activity is really about your ability to bawl your lungs out.

In that department, we were definitely winners. We screamed at the scary scenes then laughed at the retarded follow-ups.

The movie is for cheap thrills. I’m sorry PA fans but with a poster that said “Find out what started the activity” I wasn’t expecting substance. The emotion aside from shock (is that even an emotion?) that the movie instilled in me was anger. The kind of anger I bask ignorance with. The whole time, I wanted to throw my rubber shoes at the woman character. She’s hard-headed and stupid to the point that she put everyone in danger. She even doesn’t take responsibility for it. I certainly don’t enjoy characters who, without any good reason, just won’t believe you. I swear, their eyes are only good for poking. Fuuuu...
And there were scenes (Spoiler alert: eg when the guy was reading the library books and when he was talking with his co-wedding videographer) that were, for some unusual reason, filmed. The movie was, as we all know, in “lost tapes” style. Its hard to cough up a solid story line with that kind of style, a reason why it has to be brilliant.

But definitely, if your vocal chords need some abuse, watch this movie with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment