Friday, September 2, 2011

Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwaang Paa - a ranty review and I despise ambiguity

Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa (hereafter referred to as ASDKP) is a film about a literature teacher and her two male students. Then the rest is an explosion of ambiguity. (if you want a better blurb, please click this link)

I was able to watch the film a few hours ago here at Ateneo.

The Loyola Film Circle hosted the event. I really wanted to watch the movie but I wasn’t able to get tickets so I waited outside with everything crossed, especially my fingers, for Standing Room Only tickets. Eventually, I landed on the floor, in front of the giant screen amongst a crowd I hopefully share my fascination with the recent Cinemalaya entries with.


Luckily, Alvin Yapan (who directed the film together with Alemberg Ang) was there and said a few things about the film after the viewing. He said the film was supposedly ambiguous and here is what I have to say:

(what I have to say probably won’t matter but anyways)

The film is ambiguous. I have ambiguous opinions on if I would suggest you watch it or not. The film is genius, but not all genius is watchable lest the brain will turn into mush.

It was great technically. If viewed without personal bias, I would definitely volunteer to have your money and fall in line for you in the cinemas. The problem is what I am trying to do here is review the movie and I need context and personal bias to do so. So basically, this suggesting of the film is a catch-22, or at least something to the effect of 'it doesn't sound correct'.

If I consider biases, I wouldn’t suggest you watch the film. I hate ambiguity in film. Although personal history shapes our opinions and understanding, there should be an intrinsic answer in the film. I find it amusingly depressing that people will never come to realize that in the age old question of “yes or no” there is no in between. The film, for example, in terms of showcasing homosexuality in society, never really crosses the road but stays in the middle of it - where it will eventually be mauled by speeding vehicles. Movies are supposed to tell a story and provide a hopefully unique perspective. ASDKP tells a story but provides only droplets of perspective. Or my mind just can’t take the ambiguity (which I hate so much).

Are they being gay or just executing a choreography?
Does Jean Garcia grow older like everyone else?

But in the end, bottom line is watching a film shouldn’t be a question but a rhetoric "why not?"(except Final Destination 5 which I heard is a handful of crap) Seriously, do not be swayed by my rants. A stupid man is one who doesn’t buy movie tickets when he definitely can. But this is my opinion nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment