Sunday, May 13, 2012

What to do this Mother's Day

This was written by an 18-year old son who lives in a college dorm far from his parents. The items on this list may appear to only be necessary in such circumstances but they are not. They were carefully tailored to be as universal as possible.

1. Watch "The Iron Lady" and see Margaret Thatcher played by Meryl Streep. Although the movie steers clear of the motherhood of the "Iron Lady", Margaret Thatcher still had twins and a mother is always a mother.


Prepare tissue because Meryl Streep won her third Best Actress Award for her role in this movie. Old people in movies are the most merciless tearjerkers.

2. Buy a book. I'm still finishing Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities" and I bargained a second-hand copy of Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451", a more modern classic, from a book sale. Reading books is almost as enjoyable as seeing your parents everyday. Sob sob.
My copy beside Ana's Story, a book with exceptionally bad writing.
(You might think that these items do not make use of the day's special novelty but bear with me.)

3. Put some marshmallows in a microwave for 15-20 seconds and make sticky, sweet goo that you can eat. Eat with mom if possible. Just imagining it from where I am, I'm sure you'll both enjoy it. And it's something new (at least for me).

To foster relevance, think of it this way: the microwaved marshmallow is like your mom, so soft, so sweet and sticks everyone together.

4. Write a letter and send it via snail mail (if you live away from your parents or if you have a doubt that postman/men still exist). 

I have seen my mother's rare stamps collection and although she tried very hard to keep it off my ungraceful hands, I know how much she values her collection. I decided to send her a few mails in "Par Avion" envelopes to just remind her that 1.) time runs fast but it does not break understanding, 2.) let her know what I've been up to and that I'm still alive, 3.) avoid the 160-character SMS limit and awkwardness of voice calls, and finally, 4.) illustrate the necessity of e-mails in this day and age. She enjoyed it very much and she sent me one cheesy, hand-written reply that will mean a lot to me until I lose it.


Make a letter for your mother and be just as honest as you can. I have a feeling that parents perpetually wonder what goes on in their offspring's mind. Its about time they are given relief from the wondering. Cards have generic messages. Target 500-1,000 words. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Happy Mother's Day, mothers! And to the children and husbands, 2012 is the year to make this day extra special!

No comments:

Post a Comment