Sunday, August 12, 2012

I DON'T GIVE A FOLK!


After a long week of photos of people getting displaced and harmed by the flood, and also of volunteering and witnessing the persistence and compassion of the Filipino people, we decided to go out and have a special Friday night for the unlike-anything-else week we just experienced.

A friend's organization, the UP Underground Music Community, created the event at Tomato Kick Katipunan. Of course, with his invitation, we attended. Check the awesome poster below:


They also accepted donations at the event so I was able to drop off a small bag of extra clothes I had sorted in my dorm cabinet for the flood victims. Every bottle of beer bought that night also equaled a 20 peso donation to the flood victims courtesy of Tomato Kick (who also provided food for the volunteers early that day at the U.P. IskOperations.) There you go. The perfect reason to get hammered.

My friend and I are also in the early parts of our immersion in local independent music. I love indie music but my playlist is filled with overseas acts. The event made me realize something. THERE IS A LOT OF LOCAL TALENT that will make you proud and happy once you hear them perform. Manila is a music and art community. Bottom line: Support Local Independent Music (or, according to the Underground Music Community, "S-L-I-M").


Till the World Ends, a Britney cover by Reese and Vica

The duo is just awesome. The one posted is a cover but they have a number of originals. I know this because I got a copy of their "Crossing Neverland" album for free! It is so cute with the doodles (watch out! separate blog post). It's so amazing because they're so young and the album is already so good. If you want a copy(you should get one!), you can contact them through their Facebook here.



Ourselves (The Elves) playing their first gig. "We are not a cutesy band."



A Sound of Music cover by Bullet Dumas. Awesome guy. Check out his Facebook page here and listen to his great originals!

Kaleidoscope Eyes rocking it out. 

I am not partial to the bands mentioned here. I was just unable to take photos/videos/notes consistently. You know that feeling when you discover an awesome band? Multiply that by around ten and that is exactly how I felt so I forgive myself for not taking good photos of every single awesome act that night. For more information, here is the Facebook event where all the acts are listed together with their home pages for your convenience. Make for yourself some juice and take time to go through each of them.

SUPPORT LOCAL INDEPENDENT MUSIC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment