Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A small garage sale

My sister sorting out the goods

Every single time I go back to our house far north of the city, I make it a point to rummage through the boxes and stacks of stuff we have, certain that I would find something fascinating but not necessarily new. Of course, it's a wonderful thing -- but not if you can't stop finding 'new' stuff. Eventually, the ritual made me realize how much our house resembled an epic archeological dig of a populous village.

Shoes!

I have always wanted to do a garage sale and get rid of the excess stuff. When I was watching a house-keeping show on television (randomly, I swear) years ago, I saw the male host standing on a floor with stuff apparently no one in the house uses anymore. His face was filled with horror while reciting, "You must remember, every time you bring something new inside your home, something must come out to free the space!" That stuck to me because it made so much sense and I promised myself that whenever I start keeping my own place, it would be my rule of thumb.


Boots. These were sold to a young girl. 

The sale went on for two days. No item went over P100. DVDs and audio CDs were sold at one peso per pair, t-shirts were at P2.00 or P5.00. The main goal of the garage sale was to get rid of all our old stuff and turn the storage building into a dwelling again.



We opened December 31 and more than half of the stuff were sold. We continued to January 1 and had everything at "Buy One Take One". At the end of the day, we were a little over than two-thousand pesos and a few cubic meters of space richer. Win-win.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog November last year, I think. I've been a fan since—the silent type who never comments or anything.

    I think that's all I can say for now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey adapted boy! thanks for dropping by. I dropped by your blog too! =)) awesome.

    ReplyDelete