Saturday, July 19, 2014

Planting some food

I used to (and probably still do) think that gardening is the boring-est thing in the whole world. If I'd have to choose between watching paint dry or a plant grow, I'd definitely pick jumping off a cliff. I'm a very adventurous person which for me means I get bored easy. I was sure that the only way I can stand tending an herb garden is when the plants are full grown by nighttime and start eating meat by the end of the week.

I bought cabbage, coriander, thyme and bell pepper seeds because they were all that I saw in the seed store that sparked any interest in my beating heart. I was planning to buy two but when I saw that black plastic pots were cheap, I decided to buy two more. Actually, the reason I wanted only two is because two counts of murder is closer to heaven than four.

When my thyme seeds began sprouting, I did whatever sensible person would do. I assumed they were duckweed (which commonly grow in pond water) and ripped them off the soil to throw them away. Of course, it only took an hour for me to have the good sense to Google what thyme sprouts actually look like.

They look like the plants in the photo above.

About the fear that it will be boring, I'm a changed man. Before, I would probably have to stare at the pot and let the activity occupy my day. I'd learn witchcraft to make it more interesting but it is actually really chill. You just throw in some seeds, water it and forget it even existed. It'll do the work for you.

Win-win. I'll update you on how it turns out for me. I can even mail you the herbs and vegetables/fruit. They will probably be rotten by the time they get to you but that my friend is the smell of patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment