Saturday, July 19, 2014

My friends are feminists – HELP! part 1

My friends have recently been very vocal on their social network accounts about being feminist. I left college more than a year ago and the last I’ve been with them, I already felt the urges.

Now, they have come out to play (they’d kill me if they knew I said “play”).


First of all, this is not petty bourgeoisie feminism. No, they are not out rallying about how women are just like men. They’re not using the hashtag either.

Their feminism is more academic in approach so while you do pride yourself in finishing “A Room of One’s Own”, they may start talking about contemporary theories that will bring you to tears. Note: If you have brilliant friends, prepare to feel really, really small. Contemporary theories are also not very happy reads.

I’m not against feminism per se. I’m more of choosing ignorance – a take-away of reading about our age of anxiety. Ignorance (which used to be belief) is bliss; however I feel at such a loss having feminists around me and just turning a blind eye. I couldn’t just sit here and read Game of Thrones.

So I’m taking on the journey with them. Brilliant friend said I should begin with Marxism. I’ve read about “true feminism” achieving its goal only after the abolishment of capitalism. This is hardcore but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment