Monday, October 22, 2012

Book Club: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

photo from here

I know. They're not the March sisters but I can't stop thinking about Sofia Coppola's entirely unique girls halfway through the book.

I am starting my own book club with the membership of myself after convincing (again) myself that actually putting up an organization for my reading will inspire me to read more religiously and not leave my books half-opened. I find not finishing books a very gross habit. 

Close to buying a pricey copy of Alex Gilvarry's "From the Memoirs of a Non-enemy Combatant", I remembered how unkind I can be to my books and opted to test myself with a classic. Little Women is heartwarming, the opening is very appropriate because I am becoming more ungrateful everyday. The March family is very ideal and do not be shocked when you start comparing your own family profile to theirs.

As you go deeper into the book and get to know the family more, prepare to be ashamed of yourself. In comparison to the sisters, you are a demon child, a burden to your parents, and very self righteous at that. So good luck to your self-esteem. However, if you are confident that you are God-sent, read on and nod your head as you recognize the Civil Wartime-American-family values.

Book club question: Why are some people so prim, proper, and nice? Can you survive being one of them (this means no psycho-active substances and TV programs outside the GA rating)?

No comments:

Post a Comment