Monday, March 19, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities and the Scent of Failure



It is the finals week here at school. Unreal because I have around five new books and I just got hold of a copy of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy which I haven’t watched completely after numerous attempts (I know, what a shame!). Even funnier is I have a new fiery interest for anything besides schoolwork.

What I am doing now, instead of studying or making whatever papers I have to pass for the last week of this semester, is watching movies or reading my first ever Dickens. I have watched The Muppets, The Other Boleyn Girl, and the Fellowship of the Ring in under 24 hours. I act like I have plenty of time when I have at least 200 pages of book paper to study, thousands of words to write, and a video documentary to make. Regret, I can already smell you.

Se.se.se.se.segway to A Tale of Two Cities:

I am halfway through the book. Reading it far more efficiently than Confinement which took me about two months to finish. Talk about gripping. I've been wanting to read a Charles Dickens book since forever and I began with A Christmas Carol. The problem is, I can't remember anything from that book. I probably read it when my comprehension excluded Dickens. Hahaha.

A Tale of Two Cities is an oddly heartwarming book which begins beautifully:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
- Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, Book 1, Chapter 1

I am definitely not one to make a book review so I leave it to you to be sensible enough to read the book at least once in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment