Monday, November 12, 2012

Philippine Fashion Week 2013 Favorites: PART 1

Well, I've been intending to make a round-up of all the Philippine Fashion Week Spring Summer 2013 shows (for a more popular Filipino website) by focusing on the crowd favorites but also with regard to my personal biases but time has been nothing but all too rare. All I could do was browse through the photos archived in StyleBible.ph and pick my personal favorites.

The collection that immediately caught me is  Dodjie Batu's SS Collection for Men. There is no denying that it can be more challenging to make clothes for the men because if you intend to make something wearable, it will be far less imaginative as what you can do with womenswear. To make a good collection for men, there is a need for infinite fine tuning and ingenious creativity at the right things and the collection reveals just that.



By taking advantage of sharp cuts to provide that clean-cut luxurious flair, the collection was able to remain manly and very wearable without giving up its forward flair of plaid patterns in earthy colors with pastel accents of flowery vintage print hemlines.


There is something very luxurious about earthy, muted colors and crisp fabric on men. 



Although it isn't perfect and the vision still kind of hazy (but who am I to say?), it is a good collection and if I had the money I would probably buy pieces. The spring summer collection could have done with a few cardigans or blazers here and there which will couple wonderfully with the aesthetics used.

Odelon Simpao S/S 2013

Aris Pico - Luxury! Vera Wang anyone?

There are a lot of designers who showcased their collections at the PFW 2013 and it is my goal to go through each of them. This list is, of course, incomplete so I am making this the Part 1 of a series with a still unknown number of installments. 

If you are interested in any of the designs showcased, just research the designer's name and I'm sure you will be able to find their contact details easily on a designer phonebook somewhere here on the internets. Remember, it is always better to buy local pieces and promote the scene!

PFW 2013 might not be as big as its Milan, Paris, New York, London etc counterpart but I am very confident in saying that it is getting there! And it will soon with the help of undying enthusiasm towards the growth of the industry.

PS: I'm thinking of doing a podcast/videocast about my Philippine Fashion Week picks however I have to overcome the disabling disdain I have towards my own recorded voice and fussing with video-audio editors. I will try but there is no guarantee for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment